Confessions of a 20-Something Caffeine Addict

...on caffeine-free nursing diet. God Help Us.

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Episiotomies!

Last night:

I was in labor, in a room with another laboring woman. Adam wasn't there, b/c I think I went into labor kind of early so he couldn't get there fast enough. I forgot to call my mid-wife, and I started to panic b/c I knew they were going to try to give me Pitocin and all that junk. The active labor was taking a long time, and in my dream I remember trying so hard to feel the contraction and worrying b/c I couldn't feel it.

Finally the nurse, who actually wasn't a nurse but my Bradley teacher, said that I was crowning, which was weird b/c I hadn't actually gotten to transition yet! (as if I know how that feels anyway) She then told me to get on the floor, and I knew that something weird was going on. (feel free to laugh out loud) She told me to lift my legs into the hair, but spread apart. She pulled out a big pair of scissors. And I screamed "Wait what are you doing!?" She said she as giving me an episiotomy. And I got so confused b/c I was pretty sure she wasn't a fan of episiotomies. So I told her "I don't want one...but hey where is a my mid-wife, and wouldn't you help to support the perineum to help me avoid a tear??" But I couldn't put my legs down...

Then I woke up and I think I was having a practice contraction. And I had to pee...again.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:45 AM , Blogger Yael said...

    Haha, I remember having weird dreams and even worrying during the day that I might not feel the contractions. Let me tell you there's NO WAY ON THIS EARTH that you wont know those contractions when they start. Think of a giant horse hoof kicking you in the stomach (from inside). Yipee!! Hey and transition is a lot like being on acid.
    Sorry completely unhelpful when you're so close. Go out now and buy Ina Mayes guide to childbirth, wonderful positive stories about labour. In all honesty it was the most magical, wonderful, inspiring experience of my life. Truly incredible.

     
  • At 1:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    When I was pregnant I dreamed that the baby inside me moved so much that it ripped a hole in my stomach and came out. Only it wasn't a baby, it was a cat. Not even a kitten, but a full grown cat. I worried that it was too early to be born and tried to push it back into my stomach, but it had pickled up lint and fluff from my bedspread and was too dirty to go back inside me....I guess that I learn from this, and I want to pass onto you....IGNORE YOUR DREAMS!!!!!!!

     
  • At 12:46 AM , Blogger Tracie P. said...

    that image is enough to give me nightmares too...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home