Confessions of a 20-Something Caffeine Addict

...on caffeine-free nursing diet. God Help Us.

Monday, April 30, 2007

The End of April


I look at the calendar today and realize that in 6 weeks we are leaving for Italy. I have been taking walks around the estate lately, letting Giada see what Spring looks like here. There are wildflowers so dense it looks like colored carpets spread in the glades. Tiny yellow finches hover over the pond catching lunch, as I watch Margot chasing fat squirrels into the wood. I stand facing the ocean, glacing over at Giada lulled to sleep by the waves and birds, wondering if we are crazy for leaving this place. It's so warm today that I open every window in the house and I swear the wind brings it to life. I haven't prayed in long time, and I've almost forgotten how to, yet in this moment I feel a great lump of "want" in my gut. Want for a sign that there is a right decision, and want for a sign that we've made it.


Meanwhile, Giada has started eating carrots. She likes them so much that she grunts for more. She uses her two favorite fingers to help her swallow: I suppose that the sucking helps the carrots go down? Today, after a two day wait, she finally pooped...and the carrots reappeared! I never would have imagined being excited about a poopy diaper, but I do like to live on the edge :)

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 3:49 PM , Blogger Sunset~Lover said...

    Whenever my boyfriend's niece was in "pooping mode" she'd venture off into a corner of the living room, behind a chair preferably (girls have to have their privacy), and proceed to stink up the room for about 5 minutes.

    Her mom always said that she loved the smell of her daughter's poop, that it reminded her of roses. I didn't share the same feeling...But she said it'd change when I have a kid. Do you think that way too? I guess it's ok. But it is sort of gross to think about it...

     
  • At 1:11 PM , Blogger Emily Clancy LoPorto said...

    hmmm. no I can't say that I enjoy the smell, or that I could compare it to roses. It is true that you just get used to the smell...which is a little creepy. To each her own! we all get our kicks one way or another. In the meantime, I love the smell of scotch tape :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home