Confessions of a 20-Something Caffeine Addict

...on caffeine-free nursing diet. God Help Us.

Thursday, July 26, 2007

one week

We have been here in Florence for a week now. I was telling a friend
of mine yesterday how quickly you pick up the words that you really
need to know. I am definitely getting better at "hearing" things,
like numbers when I go to pay for something, or just learning to pick
thru the grammar to find the key words of the conversation.

Yesterday I got my haircut at a "quick service" salon. It looked
pretty modern, and I figured I would save myself some grief trying
to make an appointment. Emmanuale was great...we both struggled to
understand each other, but between pictures and funny sounds we both
came to an understanding of what I was after, and I love it! I just
woke up so I won't include a recent pic, so you'll have to take my
word for it. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to tip or not. We knew
that you don't usually tip for food service. We had met a nice young
lady at the market a few days ago who insists that we come and ask
her for help and to answer questions, so I passed her on the way
there to ask what is salon etiquette. She laughed and said of course
not, plus "it's so expensive already!" Guess she didn't realize that
in NY, 44Euros ($61US) is a deal, and you might consider going
somewhere else for fear of getting your hair ruined.

Our boxes are supposed to be arriving today via FedEx today. I can't
wait to get my shorts...I completely underestimated the power of Air-
Conditioning now that we don't have one and aren't living under the
shade of a forest. It will take some getting used to going from a
four bedroom house on the water to a two bedroom apartment in the
middle of the city. Adam and I both realize at this point that we
would like to live south of the Arno after our lease is up in
December. For now, though, the location is very convenient and good
for assimilating into this new life.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:08 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Emily, hello. I am Stephanie and my daughter lives in Florence, she is 26 too. She is married to an Italian carabinieri. She works at the L'Erbolario near Santa Croce area. I am sure she would love to meet up with you......... email me if you would like her number....... spiderpizzo56@hotmail.com
    You have a beautiful little girl!!!

     
  • At 2:12 AM , Blogger Audra said...

    That is an ADORABLE picture!!!!!!

     
  • At 5:02 PM , Blogger Emily Clancy LoPorto said...

    aw thanks! this seems like a year and a day!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home