Confessions of a 20-Something Caffeine Addict

...on caffeine-free nursing diet. God Help Us.

Thursday, December 28, 2006

scary pics





In case you didn't know what color gray was, I included some pics that display it very well under my eyes...ha! As you can see I finally got my hair did...a-la-Pulp Fiction wouldn't you say. I used to rock these angled choppy bangs when my hair was quite long, so it's definitly a different look with this bob. I'm not sure that I like it, but I am just glad to have gotten some of the layers from my pixie chopped off!

This is a bad way to begin writing about my new life, but it's just the way it is...

My concerns at this point are that G. will only sleep for more than half an hour if she's in our bed...I'm not so much worried about her sleeping with us, I am just worried that it's "wrong"??? And when should we put our foot down? are we digging ourselves into a deep hole by allowing her to sleep with us? Adam seems to be more concerned than I am...I'm just glad to get 3 straight hours of sleep!

About half the time when she nurses she eats for 5 minutes and then screams...I thought I had it figured out, that my letdown was too strong, but now it's not jsut when my milk lets down, it's random. G. only poops 1-2 times a day. I spoke to a lactation consultant who says once is fine, but all the books say 3-4....argh. G. won't sit alone for more than 5 minutes without a Nook in her mouth. I am worried that the Nook is why she's having trouble nursing so I won't give it to her unless I'm desperate sooooooo I end up holding her most of the time. I have a sling, but she either screams and won't have it, or sleeps the whole time she's in it, and is then awake at 11pm.

Giada has made a few milestones...she can smile and sort of laugh....it's got a little tweeking left....though in her sleep she can get on a nice giggle! (video is a little long, so no biggie if your fast forward a lot)


and sorry about that terrible baby-talk...I'm working on it!

Despite all our frustrations, I am speechless when it comes to describing how I feel about this little person who just appeared from nothing. And as nervous and distraught as Adam was, he is so in love with his baby girl and such a wonderful daddy. (tears, hahaha). Keep checking our website for updated pictures...there will be some soon! web.mac.com/eclancy

2 Comments:

  • At 4:13 AM , Blogger Yael said...

    For what it's worth...

    On sleeping, you have to decide if sleeping together is for you now. B Girl is still in bed with me, it's not a problem for me, I think it's natural to want to sleep with your baby. Apparently at around 3 they wean themselves out of your bed, I hope this is true. If you can't bear the thought of sleeping together for that long then get her out now because when she gets past 6 months or so it will be impossible.

    On poo, twice a day is more than enough, dont listen to the books, they go through different stages, sometimes three times a day, sometimes once every 2 days, DONT WORRY.

    On feeding, I dont remember B Girl crying while nursing, she didn't have a pacifier until she was a few months old because I was worried about the same latching on issues. Can you take it away? Try using your finger...B Girl had my finger in her mouth for about 7 hours a day!

    By the way you both look great. Happy christmas x

     
  • At 11:32 AM , Blogger mitchsmom said...

    Re: the poops... I'm an OB RN and an IBCLC... so again FWIW...

    You know your baby -is she healthy aside from the few poops? is she gaining weight? does she eat 8-12+ times a day? is she peeing enough (5-6+)? does she have any other GI/abdominal type problems? are the poops substantial when she has them?

    if your lactation consultant asked these kinds of questions and fully evaluated your baby as an individual then she is probably right, that 1-2 poops is ok even though 3-5 is a general rule for young babies less than 4-6 weeks of age.

    has she always had this pattern or are they becomming less frequent? that is normal as a baby gets older, between 4-8 weeks they often start to space poops out:

    "There is something important to point out regarding frequency of stooling in an exclusively breastfed baby. Many parents are concerned when after the early weeks where they may have been seeing a little bowel movement in almost every diaper, they suddenly begin to see days go by without any. This is perfectly normal. There is a great range of frequency of bowel movements with exclusively breastfed infants, ranging from a couple of times a day to several days. There are completely healthy nursing babies that have a bowel movement once a week, once every ten days, or even a few that go a bit longer. If your baby is healthy, developing well, nursing well and the consistency of the bowel movement when it does make its appearance is soft or loose, then do not be concerned. It is not constipation if it arrives in soft form. Constipation would arrive in pellets and hard formed pieces."
    http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/pediatricks/poop.asp
    (great page on poop!)

    http://www.kellymom.com/
    (GREAT site on breastfeeding - also find info on your sleep and pacifier questions)

    all that said, if she isn't properly gaining weight then the two of you need professional guidance to get back on track - if this is the case then see your pediatrician or find another LC (check at http://www.iblce.org/old/US%20registry.htm, ilca.org, or the kellymom.com LC directory.)

    Best wishes & enjoy your babymoon!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home