Confessions of a 20-Something Caffeine Addict

...on caffeine-free nursing diet. God Help Us.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

1 wedding, 2 delayed flights and a gail

this weekend was what I expected it to be....chaotic and too short.

Friday I woke up with a terrible sore throat, and we left Laguardia at 9:30am. Beautiful in NY, HOT but clear in Louisiana. Because we are poor and can't afford direct flights all the time, we had a 2 hour layover in Miami (which is not on the way to LA, by the way). The next flight would get us into New Orleans just in time for the drive home, a quick change, and to the wedding at which I was to sing. NOT SO. Our 2 hours in Miami turned into close to 4 hours...a huge storm front was moving into the northeast, where this flight was arriving from. We did not end up arriving in New Orleans until 5:45...15 minutes to get our bags, get changed (since we now wouldn't have time to at m & d's), and hop in the car. we arrive half an hour late for the wedding, but thank the Lord Eddy is Catholic! I had only missed the entrance hymn, readings, and vows (:(). Hiney, who was also singing, held it on her own til I got there. Eddy said he didn't even notice...woohoo!

the wedding was gorgeous as expected. The reception was lots of fun...great music, great food (jambalaya and boudin!), and lots of faces I haven't seen in years. One guy I've know for a while even called me by the name of my old roommate b/c my hair is much shorter than it had been. Lots of belly patting and "oohhs!"...fun fun fun.

the next morning, we woke up late and just padded around the house in our socks and PJs. For lunch, Dad went and picked up some boiled crawfish (the last of the season) and crabs (in season), and we boiled and spiced some potatos, corn, and mushrooms to go along. My mom's sister and her daughter and son-in-law came over to join us for a quick visit. Bellies full of beer (water in my case) and seafood later, we bid farewell to our company and jumped into the truck to go sailing on Lake Ponchartrain...well actually racing!

the skies were clear and the weather was warm as the sun was set low in the sky at the marina. We got into the boat...m, d, DH, big bro, the Captain (the boat's owner), and his wife. All of the sudden as we were trolling up to the starting marker, the skies opened up and the wind whipped the just hoisted the main sail from one side to the other! the wife insisted that we return to the marina, but after about 10 minutes, it had let up and we went back to the mark. We were supposed to be the first boat out in the race, but b/c the wind had us moving at about 0.3 knots, we ended up the last!!! the wind was up and down until about 2/3's through the race, when the skies opened up again! and this time it didn't stop. Everyone but my father at the helm, the captain who maintained the sails, and DH and I to keep the keeling boat from tipping stayed above. we were in the middle of a gail and the winds were hitting us at 50-60 knots! the rain felt like hundreds of bee stings all over your body, and was quite cold. but the waves from the lake were very warm...90 degrees F! the whisker pole (which supported the jib...the sail in front of the main sail) needed to come down b/c the wife was frightened by our speed and angle of the boat, but once it was unhooked from the mast, the wind and the weight of the pole bent it right in half! the captain had to sacrifice it to the lake, and we ended up coming in 5th out of 7 boats.....this from a man who at least places in most every race he has been in! About 5 minutes to finish the rains let up and the skies cleared. What a rush! we can't wait to go again!

Sunday was too short...we woke up, packed quickly, and headed off to Louie's Cafe for a late breakfast. I had grits and biscuits, like any good country girl would! we left straight for the airport, and a layover in Dallas. Oh...the story doesn't end there, people! The jet had a problem so we left Dallas an hour later than planned and got home at midnight. The next morning I woke up and felt like I had 100 lbs sitting on my head and face. I knew right away I had a sinus infection...that sore throat found it's way into my face! I left work early only to be running around all day to the doctor and nutritionist and hubby's office and didn't get any rest until the time of day I'd normally be sinking into the sofa.

....Tuesday morning I took the first of a 5 day antibiotic regimine. We had to pull the car over b/c I felt like I was going to vomit out my insides. Somehow I was able to talk myself down (using my inner dialogue of course) by thinking about not wanting to have to get a new pack and start over and that I just don't like to vomit (but who does? okay that was loaded). It passed and I feel much better today...besides the fact that our electric flashed last night and our alarm clock was off by 1.5 hours and I was late to work again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home