Confessions of a 20-Something Caffeine Addict

...on caffeine-free nursing diet. God Help Us.

Thursday, May 25, 2006

why I like being Catholic

first of all, I know I am probably going to get a million responses, and from people who've never even shown their face (or whatever) on my blog before, but that's okay. But I just want all commenters to know that I KNOW! I've tried almost every major (and some minor) christian denomination, and even some non-christian. I understand that many protestants don't like being referred to as such. I know that the Catholic church is not considered evangelical, which among other things means its people are not saved, or going to heaven (with exceptions). I KNOW most anything you'll disagree with, but that's okay. The point is that I am Catholic now, and will remain until I return to the earth.

This is in response/support of fellow blogger:

One of the many reasons why I returned to Catholicism is the faith vs. works issue. This has been a hot topic between me and many friends, including my husband who is not Catholic. Something I could never dismiss while learning about the new church that I was in was the idea that you did not need to live a life of good works in order to enter "God's Kingdom." A biblical study I found once in regards to this issue can illustrate the difference in Luke 2:14:

"Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men." King James Version, and most other popular protestant-used bibles are stated this way.

"Glory to God in the highest and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests." New American Bible, used by Catholics and protestants alike

This was generally the passage that was used in defense of my confusion, the first version I should say. It is what the angel proclaimed to Mary and Joseph on the night of Christ's birth. As if to say "Glory to God, let there be peace, God blesses everyone." The second, to me of course, has a very different tone, as if to say "Glory to God and he will give peace to those who please him."

Now, in my mind an angel almost ALWAYS appears to give instruction or to make a very important announcement (like, yo Mary you're gonna have a baby!). Why would the angel just come down to bless them? To me he is telling them that God is to be given glory, and that people who please him will be given peace. SO if we do things here on earth (GOOD WORKS) God will grant us the gift of peace, and hopefully a ticket through the pearly gates.

Good works...again, to me....are things that are born of love...love for God, love of his creation, love of family, love of the rest of the world as ugly as it may be. And these actions/decisions/thoughts are difficult because you have to try to be fair to all of these things (god, family, etc.). But they also can lead you on many adventures and color your life in ways you could never imagine. The fact that I believe I am called to good works forces me to takes chances and to be adventurous, and to get by on less than I ever could have imagined. And I can't just wait for God to come down and say "I'm taking you to Italy. It will be fun and amazing". Nope, I have to say "wow, that could be cool, but what about this baby, what about my family?" and weight the +'s and -'s and just take a chance and trust that God will PROVIDE me with the tools I need to press on, not wait for him to press on for me.

There are consequences to a life of good works. You will most likely be met with persecution and discouragement (is that a word?). You are choosing to take the unlit, unbeaten path. It's not like you decide to follow Christ and the rest of your life will just fall into place. No way. When you choose this path your are CHOOSING broken ankles and pain, loss...of people and of things, lonliness even. But the beautiful thing is (as you've said annika) that you will surprise yourself with your strength and ability to be made anew, with the wisdom you will gain, and your depth of knowledge about this world (which in turn deepens your knowledge of the immaterial world). You will learn and grow and never be want for adventure and change. It's not leaping from a cliff trusting God will send angels to catch you. It's climbing down a steep mountain trusting God provided you with all that you need to descend safely.

I hope this makes sense....it does in my head/heart. This is not intended to be a comparison of Catholic vs. Protestant as it is faith vs. good works. I am sure there are many christians out there, non-catholic, that may agree with this idea. Nor am I asserting that I have become this person I know I should be...I've got a long way to go!

Peace.

NOTE: I am adding this last part in b/c I realized how this completely doesn't tie into the post I was refering to!

The point of all of this was that I can't imagine that someone who lives their life doing good things for others, spreading love and happiness, and even has a moral code set out for themselves...I can't imagine it can be wrong. In fact as far as "heaven" goes...I think they will be in God's favor over someone who has been "saved", but lives his/her life vicariously just waiting to die and go to heaven, all the while judging anyone who hasn't been "saved."

I agree with annika that we have to take responsibility for our actions and decisions and thoughts. And once we take ownership for these things, I think she is right...we do notice the wind at our backs and our load becomes lighter.

thanks for your thoughts annika. may your life be full of love and adventure!

3 Comments:

  • At 6:38 AM , Blogger Emily Clancy LoPorto said...

    I am not a "sola scriptora" believer, so I am not condemning or supporting either version of the Bible. For me, one must be wary of a passage such as this that can mean two very different things and use Christ's actions as our example, not grammar.

     
  • At 8:37 AM , Blogger Cuoricino said...

    hi :) i haven't shown my "face" around here yet... but have been dropping in occasionally since i discovered your blog last week. for this reason i won't make this long, i promise. ;)

    i've had so many discussions on this very topic with my mom (strong rooted catholic) who has seemed to find a perfect blend of faith and good works in her life. she has given me a lot of insight while i'm still trying to decide what the HECK i believe in anymore. i really enjoyed reading your thoughts on it as it has given me even more to think about.

    thank you :)

     
  • At 1:46 PM , Blogger Emily Clancy LoPorto said...

    thanks ladies...I was totally expecting a swarm of negative comments and criticism, but I flatter myself. Surely not that many people read my blog! hahaha

    Seriously, thanks for the positive comments, and keep questioning...without change there is no progress!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home