Confessions of a 20-Something Caffeine Addict

...on caffeine-free nursing diet. God Help Us.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

mexican jumping bean

did you ever have those when you were little? dried beans that had a little worm inside and if you held them in your hand they'd jump and shake all over the place? that's what my baby bump feels like. she must be baking a loaf of bread in there or something because all day long I could feel little kicks and punches and flips. It was pretty amazing and I almost felt self-conscious that it looked like a cartoon where a bee gets stuck in someone tummy.

last night DH and I finished the movie we started this weekend "Mrs. Henderson Presents." It's basically about this bored widow who buys a rundown theatre in London (I believe), and then re-opens it as the now infamous Windmill Theatre, which opens a few years before WWII. It has many little plots and you find out a lot about her background, etc. It's very good, and I highly recommend it!

my dad is coming up tomorrow evening for a long weekend. he wants to help us finish fixing up the house, so his "chore" is to get the nursery ready. well, really just remove the carpet staples from the woodfloors and polish them (the floor not the staples ;) ) and to paint the now bright apple green walls a much lighter shade of green. we have lots of fun plans: we're going to Macari Vineyards, the only "organic" winery on Long Island, to restock; to the custom jeweler who designed my mom's earrings to have a matching piece made; to Munday's for breakfast! with adam's dad; a BBQ with the fam; and then lots of laying by the pool and beach and maybe a canoe ride. My younger bro is also coming in from Cali Friday night through midday saturday, and then he's off to New Jersey to visit his girlfriend and her fam.

by the way, when I write things like "fam" and "bro" they are only meant to save my lazy a** from typing a few more letters, and not to be a reflection of the way I speak. just a little FYI

JUST FOR FUN, I'm writing the words to this silly song my Paw-paw (southern for grandpa) used to sing to me when I was little while bouncing me on his knee:

"I took my gal out ridin',
I sat 'er on my knee,
I bought 'er a pack of peanuts
And she peed all over me!"

awwwww, isn't that sweet and cute??? NOT! but that's why we loved Paw-paw: he sang us "dirty" songs, he'd let us microwave our candy bars and eat tons of icecream, and he'd let us put more coffee than milk in our coffe-milk...not to mention how much sugar he'd let us add. Paw-paw was blind as a bat, and wore over-the-counter glasses, which he broke and lost constantly. But if he was going to a horse race, he'd buy women's glasses if they were the only ones left in his strength just so he wouldn't miss it. He also sang us sweet songs, like "Billy Boy," and rocked us to sleep and was at our house every week or more. Rest in Peace Paw-paw. Wish you could have been 'round a little longer.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:37 AM , Blogger nikinpos said...

    That bit about your Paw paw is lovely! Tell us some more stories from your childhood, don't forget that to anyone who reads this from outside the US, it IS foreign and exotic!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home