Confessions of a 20-Something Caffeine Addict

...on caffeine-free nursing diet. God Help Us.

Saturday, May 20, 2006

shopping

As forecasted, it was an insane idea to drive all the way to the mall yesterday. We sat in traffic for, oh, about an hour and 15 minutes...at trip that should normally take around 25 minutes [what is ironic here is that we were driving TOWARDS NYC, and on Fridays a large part of the world is driving AWAY from NYC...this anomaly would and could only happen to me and DH]. And that time calculates only the part of the drive that was intended, NOT the part where we were on the wrong parkway for a good 4 miles and had to exit to get to the OTHER parkway and head back those 4 miles to the actually exit we needed. We were both starving about halfway there, so once we arrived we circled the horrific food court approximately 4 times avoiding which terribly unhealthy food choice to make. He got a soggy knish and I got half a tuna on rye...and they were both nasty, tasteless, and too salty.

so on to the shopping. I ended up spending most of my money: some really cute knit tops, an adorable linen shirt great for wearin a wide belt over, some white sailor-ish pants, jean board shorts, and a DRESS...yes I found a dress.

it looks kind of like this, but the blue is kelly green, the sleeves and neckline are brown, and the side panels are red and orange (I think). I figure that if I wear the right shoes and accessories it should look appropriate for an evening wedding? what do you think? I should mention that the wedding is in LA, and it is VERY hot there, so lighter clothes are more common at night.

DH didn't do as well. he wears his clothes to fit, and here in the US everything is cut for people who are overweight. he is about 3"(about 8cm) taller than me, and weighs about the same, so it's VERY diffucult to find anything that fits him and doesn't look baggy without alterations (one thing he LOVES about Italy/Europe....clothes actually FIT!!!). He found some great leather summer shoes and some jeans, a pair of pants, and a linen tunic-like shirt. I haven't seen any of it on, but I'm sure it looks great. he looks great in anything. Even nothing! HA! he's gonna kill me;) So that just means that we have to go shopping again and/or go into NYC and shop wear they know how clothes fit.

tonight we are going to a party at our friends house. this friend was the pianist in the band R.I.P. Anyway, it should be fun and funny. Lots of old groupies will probably show up and want to talk to me like we are best friends. It's cute but annoying. I'll feel huge and old around these starved girls. But DH will be there and always makes me feel beautiful and wanted, so who can complain? God, it's funny...I've never been a BIG drinker, aside from 2 or 3 nights of craziness, but knowing I can't have a beer or a cocktail drives me CRAZY!!! I think I might make my own batch of non-alcoholic cosmos, or gin and tonics minus the gin, just to trick myself into believing I can still party, heehee. Oh my, gin and tonic. yum.

i need a manicure and a pedicure. i really just need a stranger to rub my hands and feet and shoulders (knees and toes, knees and toes! great song)

2 Comments:

  • At 3:07 PM , Blogger Yael said...

    Don't worry about feeling fat it doesn't last, in a couple of weeks you'll start showing and then everyone will know you're pregnant; then it'll be oohs and aahs from all!
    I checked out the band website, they're good! They remind me a bit of The Used, but a bit more grown up...ah those were the days when I used to have time to go and see bands...

     
  • At 8:04 AM , Blogger Emily Clancy LoPorto said...

    yael: yes I know you're right. it's just hard adjusting :) And thanks for the band compliments. It's hard to believe that it is over, but luckily DH tinkers on the piano a lot so we still have music at home

    annika: it's so fun spending money, isn't it? wish I had more of it! I saw your new gadget..looks kind of scary, do you rub that thing on your legs?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home